Double toenails are an inherited genetic trait, and in podiatry, they are also referred to as “accessory nails” or “sixth toenails.” Inspired by these and other unusual sightings and moments that we saw for the very first time, we went on an excursion on the world wide web.
Bright Side wants to showcase our best findings for you as you sit in the very first row of our pretend pilot episode of Cool! I Don’t Think I’ve Ever Seen That Before!
1. “A buddy of mine has a double big toe.”
2. “An oddly-shaped strawberry”
3. “Today’s solar eclipse we saw at sunset resembled a giant cat’s head.”
4. This golden plover baby bird perfectly camouflages itself as moss.
5. “I see your extra toe and raise you my extra thumb.”
6. “I have heterochromia.”
7. “An X-ray of my sister’s pregnant dog”
8. “My brother was born with 12 toes. Here’s the X-ray.”
9. “I was born with hair.”
10. Lake Hillier in Australia has a vibrant, bubblegum pink color.
The lake is safe to swim in. The exact reason behind its bright pink color is still a mystery, but scientists predict this is due to the presence of certain algae and bacteria.
11. “I was born with only 3 fingers on each hand. With the power of modern medicine, I was
12. “This caterpillar looks like it has tiny penguins on its back.”
13. “My dad took this picture of 2 moose sharing a sweet kiss while camping in Alaska.”
14. “I won the mutational toe-thumb lottery (localized gigantism).”
15. Midas, a perfectly healthy cat, was born with 4 ears.
16. “This apple has an apple growing out of it.”
17. “This is a crested pineapple. This is a condition you might be more familiar with in cacti,
“The weird parts have undergone a trauma of some sort (bacterial or viral) or are genetically predisposed to this condition that is causing abnormal growth patterns along what is called the apical meristem.”
18. “A glasswing butterfly I saw today while hiking”
19. “A lizard growing another foot on its tail”
20. “A remarkable example of a condition called polydactyly.”
Which one of the images above impressed you the most? Would you dare to eat the oddly-shaped pineapple? Let us know in the comments.